Baking is an integral part of the holiday season for me. Whether it’s baking Christmas cookies, mince pies, cake, or other festive goodies, homemade treats are a staple of the season. That’s why Tropical Traditons and I are teaming up to offer a giveaway just in time for all your holiday baking needs: One lucky Contest Corner reader will win a 2.2 lb bag of Organic Coconut Flour, so read on!
Although sweets make up the bulk of my holiday baking, they’re not the only homemade goodie I whip up for parties and special occasions. I use my breadmaker constantly, and I’ve become known for my homemade bread. I love making bread for parties and gatherings, because it’s SO simple to make and always gets rave reviews. Because of this, when I received a bag of coconut flour to review last year, the first thing I looked up was how to use it in a breadmaker. I couldn’t find any information on this, so I ended up creating my own recipe for “Coconut Flour Breadmaker Loaf“, which has become a very popular article. This loaf is simple and delicious to make, so if you have a breadmaker, click here to read my recipe and give it a try for your next gathering!
I haven’t been able to do any baking in a long time because I’ve been laid up with this knee injury, so I’m really looking forward to being more mobile and getting in the holiday spirit by trying some new festive coconut flour recipes! Tropical Traditions’ Organic Coconut Flour is available for $11.99 at TropicalTraditions.com.
Here’s another great coconut flour recipe, courtesy of FreeCoconutRecipes.com:
* 15 oz pumpkin
* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
* 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
* 2 large eggs
* coconut flour pie crust (recipe below)
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Prepare pie crust.
Place pumpkin and spices into a small saucepan and heat gently over medium low heat, stirring constantly. Heat just until slightly warmed through.
Place the eggs and sweetened condensed milk into a bowl and add pumpkin. Whisk to combine and pour into prepared crust.
Bake for 13 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 and bake for another 35 – 40 minutes or until knife inserted 1 inch from crust comes out clean. Cool completely and store in the refrigerator.
Coconut Flour Pie Crust
* 1/4 cup cold butter
* 2 tablespoons Virgin Coconut Oil, solid
* 1 cup coconut flour
* 2 eggs
* 1 teaspoon honey
* pinch of Himalayan salt
* 1/2 cup shredded coconut
* 1 tablespoon water
* 1 egg white-beaten
In a medium sized bowl cut the butter and coconut oil into the coconut flour until mixture resembles irregular pea sized clumps. Add remaining ingredients except egg white. Mix together with your hands until a soft dough has formed. Pat dough into a 9 inch pie pan. When you are done forming the crust, take the egg white and beat it with a fork until frothy. With a pastry brush, brush the crust with the egg white just before filling.
Recipe by Sarah Shilhavy, provided courtesy of FreeCoconutRecipes.com.
One lucky Contest Corner reader will win a 2.2 lb bag of Organic Coconut Flour, just in time for holiday baking! Here’s how to enter:
1. For your first entry, click here to subscribe to the Tropical Traditions Sales Newsletter. Then come back here and leave a comment on this post with the email address you used to subscribe! This step is required to qualify for the drawing.
Want extra entries? Do any of the following, and leave a separate comment for each one:
2. Write a post on your blog linking to this giveaway and Tropical Traditions. Then come back here and leave me the link!
3. Click here to visit Tropical Traditions’ Free Coconut Recipe website. Then come back here and leave a comment mentioning your favorite recipe!
4. Write about this on Twitter, then come back here and leave a comment with the link to your tweet! One Twitter entry per person. You can use the button at the bottom of this page to tweet with one click!
5. Click here to follow Tropical Traditions on Twitter. Then come back here and leave a comment with your Twitter username!
6. Subscribe to my blog updates by clicking here. Then come back and leave me the email you subscribed with!
7. Become a follower of my blog by clicking the “Follow” button in my sidebar! Then come back here and let me know in a separate comment!
8. Post Contest Corner’s button on your website – just copy and paste the following code, and let me know where you put it:
9. Add the Holiday Gift Guide 2011 badge to your website – just copy and paste the following code, and let me know where you put it:
Disclaimer: Tropical Traditions provided me with a free sample of this product to review, and I was under no obligation to review it if I so chose. Nor was I under any obligation to write a positive review or sponsor a product giveaway in return for the free product.
Rules, regulations, and other important stuff: Giveaway ends on November 8th at 11:59 PM, PST. Winner will be chosen the following day via Random.org. Winner has 48 hours to respond to my notification email, or a new winner will be chosen in their place. Giveaway is open to residents of the lower 48-state area, Alaska, Hawaii and Canada, 18+.